Re: Creating a bootable CD for a RS/6000 PReP machine

--- Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> the netinst.iso should be bootable on your box, it has all the right
> things in
> debian-cd's powerpc script. You should look at them, and twiddle them
> until
> they work, but this may well break something else elsewhere.
>
> The prefered method of installation on PReP hardware is the netboot
> image
> (vmlinuz-prep.initrd).
>
> Now, the 2.6.17 kernel missed support for PReP, something which is
> fixed in
> the 2.6.18 kernel, but with a new -prep flavour. Until rc1 is out,
> and d-i
> switches to 2.6.18, i guess your best guess is an older pre 2.6.16
> based CD
> set.
>
> You can boot those from the prep firmware command line, with
> something like :
>
>   boot cd:,\install\powerpc\vmlinuz-prep.initrd
>
> even if the cd is not auto-bootable friendly.
>
> What cd set where you using anyway ?

Hi Sven,

I was using the daily build netinst ISO image, and apparently it's
powerpc directory contains the -chrp initrd image not the prep initrd
image.

Where can I download a netinst ISO for etch/testing that has the
correct  vmlinuz-prep.initrd image?

Thanks for supplying the command line to use at the open firmware
prompt. In my case, it appears to try and boot off of the CD but since
I do not seem to have the right image the installer doesn't boot off of
the CD.

Please CC: me on all replies as I am not subscribed to the list.

Thanks!

Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business
(http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com)