Re: Help with compiling new kernel

Sven Luther wrote:
On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 12:31:31PM +0000, James Dunn wrote:

I am trying to install Debian on my ibook according these instructions:
http://linux.looplab.org/html/ibook.html

Well, don't. Apparently this page is ways outdated, use this instead :

  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/etch_di_beta3/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-testing-powerpc-netinst.iso

Great! I'll try this.
burn it to a CD, insert it in the drive, boot with 'c' key hold down, type
enter at the yaboot prompt and follow instructions.

However, I am stuck at the stage where I am trying to install the kernel
as found on Ben H's page here: http://www.penguinppc.org/historical/benh/

I can't seem to find linux-2.4-benh - |d|oes it still exist?

Typing rsync -avz rsync.penguinppc.org:: gives me a list of linux-2.x
kernels, but I can't see linux-2.4-benh. I tried using linuxppc-2.5

Hi James.

On powerpc 2.4 kernels have been obsoleted since around 2-3 years ago or so,
and even before that most work was already been done in 2.6.

The 2.6 kernels have full powerpc support, and all the work benh does goes
there directly.

Please use current 2.6.18.1, it should have all you need.

but when I ran :

cd /usr/src/<kernel-source-directory>
make menuconfig
make-kpkg kernel_image

there were errors.

Is there something else I should be doing?

Don't reading web pages that where probably out-dated 3 years ago :)

Friendly,

Sven Luther

Ok, many thanks for  your help

James