Re: Creating a bootable CD for a RS/6000 PReP machine

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 03:06:33PM -0800, asdf wrote:
> What is the procedure for creating a bootable debian-installer netinst
> CD, to boot on a RS/6000 43P Model 140?
>
> I tried to burn the PowerPC netinst.iso image as I normally do for my
> i386 installs, but the system doesn't boot from the CD.
>
> Some detailed instructions on how to go about creating bootable CD for
> this RS/6000 system would be appreciated.

the netinst.iso should be bootable on your box, it has all the right things in
debian-cd's powerpc script. You should look at them, and twiddle them until
they work, but this may well break something else elsewhere.

The prefered method of installation on PReP hardware is the netboot image
(vmlinuz-prep.initrd).

Now, the 2.6.17 kernel missed support for PReP, something which is fixed in
the 2.6.18 kernel, but with a new -prep flavour. Until rc1 is out, and d-i
switches to 2.6.18, i guess your best guess is an older pre 2.6.16 based CD
set.

You can boot those from the prep firmware command line, with something like :

  boot cd:,\install\powerpc\vmlinuz-prep.initrd

even if the cd is not auto-bootable friendly.

What cd set where you using anyway ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther