Re: problem trying d-i with qemu!

# I found the bug, is 388735
owner 388735 !
owner 388740 !
thanks

Eddy Petrișor wrote:
Emmanuel Galatoulas wrote:
Hi all

i am trying to use the powerpc flavour of the d-i with qemu
but I get all the time the following error

#qemu: warning: could not load VGA bios '/usr/share/qemu/video.x'

and all I get is the help screen of the qemu terminal. This is the case
regardless whether I am using qemu in powerpc or x86 based systems.

That is because not everything needed for the emulated ppc system is there:

$ zgrep -B3 -A3 video.x /usr/share/doc/qemu/changelog.Debian.gz
    - debian/patches/32_syscall_sysctl.patch: Likewise.
    - debian/patches/40_fpu_arm_sigfpe.patch: Likewise.
  * Repackaged upstream source to deal with binaries w/o sources.
    - pc-bios/video.x: New file removed.
  * Create a new qemu-user(1) manpage and link all user emulator manpages
    to it. (Closes: #335163)
  * Add missing '-' and '=' keycodes for sendkey command.

As I said in a mail:
-----8<-----
Indeed, video.x was removed in october last year from the qemu package:

[snip]
  * Repackaged upstream source to deal with binaries w/o sources.
    - pc-bios/video.x: New file removed.
[snip]
-- Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>  Mon, 31 Oct 2005 05:01:45 +0200

That file is a header for PowerPC PEF executable, which I'd say could
be replaced/regenerated (at first glance - but I have no real idea).

I tried to get the file from upstream, but it seems that the
qemu-system-ppc does not start, even with that file (just hangs).

I just filed a bug about this.

Unfortunately the bug, iirc (sorry, answering offline), was closed or tagged won't fix by the maintainer.

is there a way to overcome this  issue?

Coincidentally I was just thinking today of trying again to get qemu started with the file from upstream.

qemu maintainers, couldn't something be done for this? What about an utility that would fetch the file from upstream (of course, this should be placed in contrib and qemu could suggest it)?

--
Regards,
EddyP