Re: bind my hibernate key to some command?

On 10/4/06, Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 14:22 -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> Is there a way for me to do this in gnome?  I looked through the
> keyboard settings and I can't see any way to bind to a sleep event.
> I should perhaps also say that gnome-power-manager is turned off, since
> it works way less well for both suspend and hiberntion than the
> hibernate package does.

gnome-power-manager actually uses whatever backend is available, for
example hibernate. Sometimes some minor adjustments of the hal scripts
can be necessary.
ah, thank you for that hint.  I found the hal scripts in
/usr/share/hal/scripts/hal-system-power-*, arethese the ones used by
gnome-power-manager?

it looks as though the hibernate and suspend scripts automatically
callshbernate if it's installed.  I guess I should figure out a way to
get the script to check whether the running kernel is actually
suspend2-enabled before running the hibernate command. if the kernel
just has vanilla suspend, hibernate can't deal with it.

what's the relationship betweenthe hal scripts and the ones in
/etc/acpi?  does the inital keypress generate a HAL event, which is
then sometimes sent to acpi andsometimes not?  I find the arrangement
a little complicated.

...all of which is taking me a ways away from my inital concern about
the hibernate button., but it's nonetheless interesting....

thanks,
matt

Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson