Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Salut Denis,

On   3 Oct, this message from Denis Barbier echoed through cyberspace:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 11:37:15PM +0200, Mich Lanners wrote:
>> mlan@owl:~$ setxkbmap -rules "xorg" -model macintosh -layout ch
>> -variant fr -print xkb_keymap {
>>         xkb_keycodes  { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)"       };
>>         xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
>>         xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
>>         xkb_symbols   { include
>>         "macintosh/us(extended)+macintosh/ch(fr)"       };
>>         xkb_geometry  { include "macintosh(macintosh)"  };
>> };
>>
>> Shouldn't xkb_symbols include macintosh_vndr(bla) instead of
>> macintosh(bla)?
>
> Absolutely.

Better now:

mlan@owl:~$ setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "macintosh+aliases(qwerty)"     };
        xkb_types     { include "complete+numpad(mac)"  };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
        xkb_symbols   { include "pc(pc105)+macintosh_vndr/ch(fr)+inet(apple)"  };
        xkb_geometry  { include "macintosh(macintosh)"  };
};

The problem was I has XFree 6.9.0 installed, which looks for XKB files
in /etc/X11/xkb, not /usr/share/X11/xkb. Fixed by upgrading to 7.0 and
manually removing xlibs from 6.9.0, which provides, contrary to it's
name, only XKB data files.

Shouldn't this package be removed during upgrade from 6.9 to 7.0?

> No, your analysis is right, and this has to be fixed first, all your
> other problems may then disappear.

Now for the remaining problems:

I wrote:
> Keypad block:
> - KP_Equal is missing on keycode 157,
> - top row is missing; they are volume down, volume up, mute, eject

All fixed.

> Cursor and page up/down block:
> - F14/F15/F16 are missing on keycodes 183, 184, 93 (in that order)

Keycode 93 gives F16, but F14/F15 on 183/184 are still missing

> - the key labelled "Help", between F14 and Delete, left of "Home",
>   sends "Insert" as on PC keyboards. Not sure what to do about that
>   one.

Still the same but no additional info whether this is OK.

> Alpha block:
> - F13 is missing on keycode 182,

Problem persists.

> - Apple keys (keycodes 115/left and 116/right) map to nothing
>   (NoSymbol), Alt keys map to Alt indeed.

Now: Apple keys map to Super_L, Super_R; left Alt maps to Alt_L, right
Alt maps to ISO_Level3_Shift.

Not necessarily what I want, but makes some sense.

Also, main problem (missing 3rd level symbols) is gone. I'll try to
check the current mapping against MacOS X mapping (which should be our
reference, I guess) to see whether any discrepancies are left.

Thanks, and cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |