Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Hello Olaf,
On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 09:47:27PM +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
> macintosh means and does MacOS mapping. I made it that way back in 2000.
> Dont change it.
> If you want a PC map, use a PC map.

Well, first thanks for creating a keyboard map. But judging by my
experience and also what I've read on the list and several web pages
for ibooks/powerbooks, the mapping was broken for almost everyone. So
I don't think it would be wrong to not only fix it, but also use the
chance to find out the default mapping most for the most people. IMHO
there should be no "Don't" pre-supposed.

And to be honest, I don't care what the name of the mapping is. I *do*
care that it works by default or after a simple change clearly spelt
out in the (installation) documentation, like.

Keyboard:
For <insert your favorite reason> the default keyboard is set up like
under <your favorite other OS>, if you like the setup to resemble the
one used on other architectures, e.g. x86 or alpha then <insert a
simple description here, like "add the following line in
/etc/xorg.conf", or "run dpkg-reconfigure ...">.

In this thread I've only seen vague indications of what I should do,
but no clear indication which map in which variant produces the same
result as Denis good work modulo the third level mapping for 7-0.

Greetings

          Helge
--
Dr. Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.           Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de