Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Hello Jörg,
On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 11:19:58AM +0000, Jörg Sommer wrote:
> Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 03:52:11PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> >
> >> 1. When pressing the key between ß? and backspace, I still get
> >>    nothing, while I expect ' as printed on the key. With the shift
> >>    modifier it works. This is keycode 21.
> >>
> >> 2. The AltGr-Bracket sequence is still "wrong", i.e. I would like the
> >>    PC style version, i.e. (starting at AltGR-7) {[]}\
> >
> > My vote for this. Definitely. :)
>
> Use pc105 instead of macintosh. It's an Apple keyboard not a PC keyboard.
>
> I vote for the Apple layout.

I'd like the PC variant as well. So what kind of options do I need to
get the pc style layout? If thats as good as the current version of
Denis, but only has the swapped brackets, I can of course switch.

For your question: I only run MacOSX for one game, and since almost no
third level is engraved, guessing becomes quite hard. And besides, I
can type blindly the PC style keyboard. I bought this machine for
linux, not for MacOSX.

> >> 3. AltGr-Q still produces "«" and not "@"
> >
> > Same here, on a PowerBook5.8: ISO_Level3_Shift + Q = «
>
> At me, the sign @ is engraved on the L key not on the Q key. Why do you
> expect a PC keyboard layout when you use an Apple keyboard?

I don't mind having Apple-L returning @, and since it is engraved, I
could even live with Apple-Q *not* returning @ (though it would be
really nice still). But I dont' think a lonely « is sensible, so I
would at least suggest both return @. Do you actually use Apple-Q as «?

I just wonder why apple chose not to engrave most of the third-level
keys (but then I wouldn't have a big point for requesting a PC style
layout, at least as an option :-))

Greetings

        Helge
--