Re: Problems installing Debian for Powerpc on p690 Logical Partitions... Help!

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 10:37:23PM -0500, Cesar Delgado wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm in the process of installing and configuring Debian 3.1_r2 for Powerpc on Logical Partitions of an IBM pSeries p690 (Power4 Processor) and one IBM pSeries p570 (Power5 Processor). I have downloaded the DVD images from Debian.org and tried to boot from these media without success. After some reading we have found that using the boot command of Open Firmware we can link the yaboot in /install dir inside the DVD:
>
> boot cdrom:,\install\yaboot
>
> when issuing this command looks like the yaboot sequuence cannot find the yaboot.conf file, which in fact does not exist cause yaboot.con is the one in the install dir.
>
> Have anyone installed Debian on such platform usign DVD and how ?? Our customer network connections are not so good.

I installed on no-vios p505 recently, and will soon do once i get the hang of
the vios thingy.

There is a copy of the yaboot.conf file in /etc, which is the one used on IBM
hardware, please check that this is indeed the case.

Also, notice that debian/sarge doesn't support this kind of hardware very
well, and it is recomended you use the etch beta or daily builds, i myself
used an etch daily build for the installation :

  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/etch_di_beta3/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-testing-powerpc-netinst.iso

Friendly,

Sven Luther