Re: xkb-data: Help needed for Macintosh keyboards

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:00:06PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > Next I compare both the keyboard on the console and in X. Since the third
> > level is (almost) not printed on the keyboard an I never use X (but normal
> > keyboards a lot) I'd like to have the third level as on an ordinary keyboard.
> >
> > All keys which work as expected are not reported.
> >
> > Number row without any modifier:
> >    Key between ß and backspace does not respond (expected:')
>
>     The leftmost key (next to 1) is < instead of ^

Please test by setting XkbModel to macintosh_old2.  As explained in
other subthreads, these 2 keys are swapped for some models.  The
macintosh_old2 name is a temporary one and will be changed in the
final version.

>     Key between ß and backspace does not respond (expected:')
>
> Number row with shift:
>     The leftmost key (next to 1) is > instead of °

Ditto.

> > Number row with Apple key pressed:
> >    2 and 3 ok; but then mixed up,
> >    starting at 5:        []|{}}\
> >    should be (from 7):     {[]}\
>
>    This is still the case

There are 4 German Macintosh layouts in /usr/share/keymaps/mac:
  * mac-de2-ext.kmap.gz
    3rd level for number keys are the ones you want, but keycodes are
    wrong, for instance 7 has keycode 26 instead of 8.  (ADB keycodes?)
  * mac-de-latin1.kmap.gz
    3rd level for number keys are the ones you want, but keycodes are
    wrong too.
    It is broken since it includes "include/mac-qwerty-layout" which
    does no more exist in console-data in sid.  (Bug in console-data?)
  * mac-de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.gz
    3rd level for number keys are the same as in X, and keycodes are
    wrong too.
  * mac-ibook-de.kmap.gz
    You submitted this one, so it is surely the one you are using ;)

And there are also USB variants in /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz:
  * mac-usb-de-latin1.kmap.gz
    Looks similar to X keymaps.
  * mac-usb-de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.gz
    Ditto.

Nice mess ;)

All console layouts use @, so X has surely to be changed.

> > Asdf-row, with Apple key pressed:
> >    Some other characters and some double usage (e.g. ß, @, ^, `), now
> >    suprise (on the console most of these are no special character)
>
>     This is still the case

Those extra symbols do not hurt.

> Yxcv-row, without any modifier:
>     The lefmost key (next to left shift) is now ^ instead of <

See above about macintosh_old2.

> Yxcv-row, with shift key:
>     The lefmost key (next to left shift) is now ° instead of >

See above about macintosh_old2.

> > Yxcv-row, with Apple key pressed:
> >    Apple-Y is « and Apple-X is » (which unfortunately does not work on
> >    the console), which is great! (Ideally I'd like them swapped, as in
> >    german they are "reversed" compared to the french/swiss usage)
>
>    This is still the case

It makes sense, this change can be pushed upstream if there is a consensus
amongst German Mac users.

> > So in conclusion, I like your new layout. It would be great, if you could
> > enable an easy possibility to chose between pc-style third level and
> > macintosh third level.
>
> Well, the new one degarded a little, as it swapped the ^/° with the
> </> key on my german iBook G4 keyboard
>
> I hope this updated info helps.

Sure, thanks for your help.

Denis