Re: xkb-data: Help needed for Macintosh keyboards

Hello Denis,
On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 09:48:11PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:00:06PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > > Next I compare both the keyboard on the console and in X. Since the third
> > > level is (almost) not printed on the keyboard an I never use X (but normal
> > > keyboards a lot) I'd like to have the third level as on an ordinary keyboard.
> > >
> > > All keys which work as expected are not reported.
> > >
> > > Number row without any modifier:
> > >    Key between ß and backspace does not respond (expected:')
> >
> >     The leftmost key (next to 1) is < instead of ^
>
> Please test by setting XkbModel to macintosh_old2.  As explained in
> other subthreads, these 2 keys are swapped for some models.  The
> macintosh_old2 name is a temporary one and will be changed in the
> final version.

Yes, this is correct now. The main deficiency (from my POV) is that
the brackets are still "goofed up" (but I think this might by the mac
layout) (i.e. []|{}} instead of {[]}\), Apple-Q still yields « instead of @
and that ` is not printed (I can get it by Apple-#)

> > > Number row with Apple key pressed:
> > >    2 and 3 ok; but then mixed up,
> > >    starting at 5:        []|{}}\
> > >    should be (from 7):     {[]}\
> >
> >    This is still the case

Also for macintohs_old2

> There are 4 German Macintosh layouts in /usr/share/keymaps/mac:
>   * mac-de2-ext.kmap.gz
>     3rd level for number keys are the ones you want, but keycodes are
>     wrong, for instance 7 has keycode 26 instead of 8.  (ADB keycodes?)
>   * mac-de-latin1.kmap.gz
>     3rd level for number keys are the ones you want, but keycodes are
>     wrong too.
>     It is broken since it includes "include/mac-qwerty-layout" which
>     does no more exist in console-data in sid.  (Bug in console-data?)
>   * mac-de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.gz
>     3rd level for number keys are the same as in X, and keycodes are
>     wrong too.
>   * mac-ibook-de.kmap.gz
>     You submitted this one, so it is surely the one you are using ;)

Probably, but I've never given it that name. What would be the proper
one, i.e. which of these 4 are intended to stay and support PC-style
german ibook keyboards? (And how does this relate to macintosh_old2?)

> And there are also USB variants in /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz:
>   * mac-usb-de-latin1.kmap.gz
>     Looks similar to X keymaps.
>   * mac-usb-de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.gz
>     Ditto.

These are for external USB keyboards, correct?

> All console layouts use @, so X has surely to be changed.

Great to hear.

> > > Yxcv-row, with Apple key pressed:
> > >    Apple-Y is « and Apple-X is » (which unfortunately does not work on
> > >    the console), which is great! (Ideally I'd like them swapped, as in
> > >    german they are "reversed" compared to the french/swiss usage)
> >
> >    This is still the case
>
> It makes sense, this change can be pushed upstream if there is a consensus
> amongst German Mac users.

I thinks at least the translators will like it, as »« are the current
quotes used. If you like, I can ask on the german debian translators
list for comments.

Greetings

       Helge
--