Re: Full clone alubook ==> VGA [was Re: Plug and Play for external monitors on latest alubooks?]

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 05:19:00PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 16:24 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> >
> > I have another problem now: I can clone my alubook5,8 KDE-screen (not
> > the console, I'm sorry)
>
> Yeah, radeonfb doesn't support multiple outputs yet.
>

> > need to move the mouse on the alubook to see the rest of the alu
> > screen on the VGA: Is the only available solution for that to scale
> > down the aluscreen from currently 1440x960 to, e.g., 1024x768?
>
> You can't scale it down, you'll have to set the virtual resolution to
> 1024x768, e.g. using xrandr. Of course, this requires setting up an
> appropriate MetaMode in xorg.conf as well.

This seems to work now, with a 1:1 picture of alubook:VGA:

xorg.conf snippet:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon R250 Lf [FireGL 9000]"
	Driver		"ati"
	BusID		"PCI:0:16:0"
#	Option		"UseFBDev"		"true"
	Option          "MergedFB"		"true"
        Option          "RenderAccel"           "true"
	Option		"AccelMethod"           "EXA"
	Option		"AGPSize" "16"
        Option		"AGPMode" "4"
	Option		"EnablePageFlip"
        Option		"DRIReinit"             "true"
        Option		"BackingStore"          "True"
        Option		"MetaModes"		"1024x768+1024x768"
EndSection

> Not sure why you can't get the external display up at 1280x1024, the
> EDID seems to confirm it supports that. Could be the screwy MergedFB
> code.

I'll play with the whole settings a bit more when I have got more time
available than today ... I set all this up in 2 hours or so ... I'm
astonished I got that far at all in that short time ... :)

BTW: Thanks to Bin Zhang and another person whose name I forgot:
Without postings like this:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2006/05/msg00094.html
I wouldn't have managed it in that short amount of time. So thanks a
lot to everyone out there being part of this success ...

> >         Option		"BackingStore"          "True"
>
> Don't enable backing store, it's slow and broken.

I'll remember that next time: I had it on for the special effects of
'xboing' (shaking screen :) to take effect ... IIRC

Thanks a lot, Michel, for the lesson, and everything :)

Nice weekend to everyone

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on