Re: Re: Full clone alubook ==> VGA [was Re: Plug and Play for external monitors on latest alubooks?]

I've made a little howto (mostly not about my own experience) to use
mergedfb. This is for a powerbook 5,6 (alubook 02/2005) but it should
work for you too :

ftp://ftp.archlinuxppc.org/other/misc/dualhead-powerbook56/radeon-hacked

Hope it will help you.

Benoit Chesneau

On 8/25/06, Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 16:24 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

> I have another problem now: I can clone my alubook5,8 KDE-screen (not
> the console, I'm sorry)

Yeah, radeonfb doesn't support multiple outputs yet.

> need to move the mouse on the alubook to see the rest of the alu
> screen on the VGA: Is the only available solution for that to scale
> down the aluscreen from currently 1440x960 to, e.g., 1024x768?

You can't scale it down, you'll have to set the virtual resolution to
1024x768, e.g. using xrandr. Of course, this requires setting up an
appropriate MetaMode in xorg.conf as well.

Not sure why you can't get the external display up at 1280x1024, the
EDID seems to confirm it supports that. Could be the screwy MergedFB
code.

>         Option                "BackingStore"          "True"

Don't enable backing store, it's slow and broken.