Re: Where can I find the ramdisk image for sarge for Old World Macs?

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 04:20:35PM -0600, jrolland@SoftHome.net wrote:
> Hello, all!
>
> After trying unsuccessfully to install Yellow Dog Linux on my Power
> Macintosh 7500, I am trying Debian.
>
> After seeing the daunting 14 CD isos, the #debian irc channel told me I
> would only need the first 3, so that's all I burned for now.
>
> The instruction on
> <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/ch04s05.html.en#files-oldworld>
> claim that a ramdisk image named ramdisk.image.gz will be on the first
> installation CD, but it isn't. There is one .gz file, but it is not a
> ramdisk, I found out the hard way. The file linux.bin is also not there,
> but the file vmlinux is a kernel, I found out the hard way.
>
> Does anyone know where can I find the ramdisk image for Debian 3.1r2 for
> Old World Macs?

The official debian way to install an oldworld pmac is :

  1) for sarge, use the 2.6.8 kernel on the cds, with bootx from mac os.

  2) for sarge use the (unofficial) 2.4.27 miboot based floppies.

  3) for etch, use the 2.6.15 based miboot floppies from wouter's repository
  (linked from debian-installr web page).

  4) same thing for bootx.

2.6.16 is known not to work, i think.

Friendly,