Re: ibook + USB hard drive = yaboot failure

[Grrr .. sorry for following-up my own post]

On 7/12/06, Chasecreek Systemhouse <chasecreek.systemhouse@gmail.com> wrote:

2) Some boot managers expect it to be separate and formated as ext2
(as opposed to ext3) -- however these days yaboot can see the boot
software even inside / when formated at ext3.

On PowerPC (read Apple) hard drives it must be formated as HFSl on
Ultrasparcs it must be formated as a recognized SUN Disk Label (which
I give again, as an example.)

This is the way the drive *must* be laid out before the OpenFirmware
Boot manager will "see" it (I list it the way I know it will always
work for *me* but YMMV because while I have used various types of
'linux' on a couple hundred Macs I realise that there can still be
"gotchas" floating around, and people's experience levels vary a great
deal) -

/dev/[hs]d?1 -- Apple Disk Label as created by the Apple Disk
Formatter; it is usually ~32KB in size...

/dev/[hs]d?2 -- Linux OpenBoot Partition, must be formatted 1MB and be
created as HFS not HFS+ or ext2/3.

Beyond those two required partitions I don't see any issues with
laying out the disk anyway you want; but those two are not negotiable.

This advice falls under the "Works for me" category  =)
--
WC (Bill) Jones -- http://youve-reached-the.endoftheinternet.org/