Re: ibook + USB hard drive = yaboot failure

On 7/12/06, brian <cymraegish@yahoo.com> wrote:

Before you start over...

 might try typing "man bootstrap" -- it will give some
 hint on what tbxi refers to. just in case some one or other
 makes an error, it helps to understand a little bit about
 what's going on ???

 half the reason i am here anyway, the other half to escape
 those who would dictate my thinking for me ...

 particularly, it is confusing to me why he is supposed to
 need *two* little  partitions, one for yaboot, the other for ???
 (?driver partitions?)
 brian

I'm sure if you are addressing my reply to the OP question; but I'll chime in =)

I suggested the /boot partition separate from the / for no other reasons than:

1) I'm old and thats the way I've always done it (since even when SuSE
ran on PowerPC).  These days the actual variety of "usable" distros
that run on PowerPC is a toss up between FC and Debian (and related,
like Ubuntu)...

2) Some boot managers expect it to be separate and formated as ext2
(as opposed to ext3) -- however these days yaboot can see the boot
software even inside / when formated at ext3.

The other "little" partition you are possibly referring to is the
Apple Disk Label, all Macs (and Ultrasparcs for another example) must
have a Disk Label and it must be first AND it must be formated a
particular way -- it's only 32KB so its not like its gonna eat a lot
of diskspace, even with a 6GB disk (which is what shipped originally
in my iMac.)

On PowerPC (read Apple) hard drives it must be formated as HFSl on
Ultrasparcs it must be formated as a recognized SUN Disk Label (which
I give again, as an example.)

That's the way I see it has to be and unless someone can provide
step-by-step proof of how to "make" it work another way thats the way
I'm gonna keep doing it =)

Cheers =)
--
WC (Bill) Jones -- http://youve-reached-the.endoftheinternet.org/