Re: Kernel Oops - Post install on Dual G4 Mac

DOH!!

Mea Culpa, mea Culpa...

Not only was the adaptec not integrated on the mainboard, its one I
put in myself a year ago.

Oh well, I pulled it but still get the kernel oops in the scsi_mod...
unfortunately much of the oops output scrolls off the screen. How can
I page back to the beginning of the crash? ctrl+pgup doesn't seem to
do it for me - this is with the stock (read default) kernel image.

Cheers,
James

On 7/3/06, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 06:38 -0500, James Stallings II wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> I've recently attempted to install debian on my Mac - and it all goes
> quite well until the reboot after installation. It would appear that
> there is an unused adaptec SCSI Host controller integrated into the
> mainboard, which currently has no application on my system (except for
> borking my linux install ;)
>
> It seems that when the system boots for the first time it probes
> everything in the interest of detecting hardware; unfortunately,
> probing the adaptec throws the kernel into a panic.
>
> I get the feeling this question is essentially FAQ, but I have been
> unable to find any references to the kernel boot parameters I seem to
> remember for dealing with this scenario; the scsi faqs/doc list
> options for  specifying just about anything in advance except for a
> no-probe or ignore controller option.
>
> Additionally I tried performing the baseconfig operation from within a
> chroot sheel (expert mode) but this had no effect on the problem.
>
> Please advise asap, I'd hate to have to give up on this for lack of support.

I don't know of any mac with an on-board adaptec controller... Maybe you
have it as a PCI card in whcih case you can remove it to test if that
helps ? Do you have more details of the actual crash ? Also, what kernel
version is it ?

Ben.

--
Woulds't thou so blame