Re: Work around for SATA driver bug in Sarge 3.1r2 (how)?

On Jul 3, 2006, at 13:45, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 13:02 +0200, Brian Durant wrote:

I have tried using the above method, but actually can't see how this
should work as there doesn't seem to be a way of loading the CD
drivers before the SATA driver. A loop develops with the selection of
the CD drivers, because the SATA drivers have already loaded and the
CD-ROM still cannot be detected, despite only choosing the above
quoted CD drivers. Can someone walk me through this, please?

For those of you that don't understand why I don't just install Etch
beta 2, I can say that I have tried that. There is an issue with Etch
not being able to detect USB keyboards (and maybe mice as well)
during the install. This isn't in the errata and I would consider it
a bug. However, as I don't want to run a 'testing" system anyway, it
is just another reason to get a Sarge install to work.

The CD on this machine shouldn't be on the SATA controller... it's
supposed to be on the good'old Apple PowerMac IDE controller. I haven't
seen any kind of conflict so far with those...

Ben.

Hi Ben,

I can't tell you where the controller is, but I can tell you that the description matches (i.e. the CD cannot be found). As far as I understand the issue (bug), it isn't that the CD is on the SATA controller, but rather that the SATA controller somehow prevents the loading of the CD drivers. In "etch", the CD loads, with some complaining, by way of some firewire drivers. Here is the info I get from OS X about the CD:

SONY DVD RW DW-U21A:

  Firmware Revision:	AADB
  Interconnect:	ATAPI
  Burn Support:	Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
  Cache:	2048 KB
  Reads DVD:	Yes
  CD-Write:	-R, -RW
  DVD-Write:	-R, -RW, +R, +RW
  Burn Underrun Protection CD:	Yes
  Burn Underrun Protection DVD:	Yes
  Write Strategies:	CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
  Media:	No

Cheers,

Brian