Re: snd-aoa status update / automatic driver loading

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 15:30 +0200, Børge Holen wrote:

> YES, I GOT PERFECT SOUND!!!
> nothings quite like php/mysql/movie mix on late nites.

Good. Yeah then indeed the bug was the way I announced 24 bit sample
formats (which was simply wrong based on a wrong understanding of how
the i2sbus controller works...)

> But I dont quite understand why this does not work with the vanilla drivers,
> yes I'm using the PB5,8 hack to actually get any sort of output with toonie.
> Someone else did this wrong long since. Is this a special case of some sort,
> or more like a continous bug noone bothered to fix?

I don't understand the question. The 'vanilla' driver (snd-powermac I
suppose) doesn't do any i2sbus manipulations, it requires the the
firmware brings up the i2sbus into 44100 Hz 16-bit sample depth mode.
Which means that everything is down- or upsampled to that. With my code,
the bus can run in a lot of different speeds (play a 48kHz file without
downsampling to 44.1kHz).

> Did I mention thank you?

:)

johannes