Re: Installing java plugin in Mozilla?

Well, the plugin interface to Mozilla is working.
Java still is not.  I see java in about plugins in the
browser.  Running java -version still complains that
it cannot find the jvm.  I get the message:  JVM not
found libjvm.s0  - libjvm.so

Doing a locate on it I see that there are two, one
under the classic directory and another under the j9vm
directory.  This is in the documentation.  However,
why doesn't the java command see it?

I did  step 1 from below.

I forgot step 2, but when I ran update-alternatives it
told me there was only one alternative:
/usr/lib/j2re1.5-ibm/jre/bin/java  nothing to
configure.

For step 3, I updated the .profile for the root
account and the .bash_profile for my user account.
I'm not sure where the default PATH is set from.

I tried your step 4 command and got an error.  I used
the command documented at IBM: set default to
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and run ln -s
/usr/lib/j2re1.5-ibm/jre/bin/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Since the browser sees the plugins I assume this is
correct.

So, for step 5 I guess I'll try what was suggested:
install java 1.5 from the tarball, i.e.
dpkg -r ibm-j2re1.5
command(?) ibm-java2-jre-50-linux-ppc.tgz

I guess I could also try the SDK.  The files in the
jre archive have a date of 24 January 2006.  Perhaps
IBM left something out like they did with the 1.4
archives!!!

Not as close as I throught,
Terry

http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on