Re: DVD-Writer

On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 10:39:01AM +1100, Yuki Cuss wrote:
Hello all,

> >I'm thinking of tuning my Powerbook G3 Pismo a bit and thought to by
> >myself a DVD-writer to replace the original DVD-ROM. Theres plenty of
> >them on ebay
> >As I can order this only from overseas (US) and thats quite expensive,
> >and I don't think I can return them, I thought I start with asking
> >round here if anybody got experience with these devices and if they
> >work good under Linux?
>
> I found my DVD writer didn't work with the traditional programs (eg. UIs
> like GnomeBaker and xcdroast), however said traditional programs did
> help me to compile an ISO for the DVD which I then wrote to disk with
> `dvdrecord -Z /dev/dvd=my_iso.iso`
 Have you ever tried to install `dvd+rw-tools`? it contains growisofs
 which joins the features of mkisofs and cdrecord/dvdrecord in only one
 command line tool.
 For instance

 growisofs -Z /dev/dvd <some mkisofs options> foo

 to write on that device the content of directory foo.
 I often used <some mkisofs options> such as -max-iso9660-filenames .
 I hope I remember well the syntax, since it lasts some month from the
 last use :))

 Cheers

 SteX

--