Re: apt (intentionally?) brain dead?

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 18:24 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 03:15:24PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> > > Sure. And risk that apt will remove essential packages? ... :) Apt
> > > being removing stuff is a well-known behavior currently in unstable
> > > Debian,
> >
> > Without asking for confirmation first? That's news to me, definitely
> > hasn't done that here. Ever. If you explicitly tell it not to ask first,
> > maybe...
> >
> > > so clearly, Michel, with all due respect: No way. :)
> >
> > So you don't want to see for yourself that there's no problem with apt
> > but instead with the packages you're trying to install. Fine.
>
> Please: Read the message where I pasted apt's error messages *and* the
> output of my manual intervention shortly after: If you do you can see
> that there was no problem with the packages I was trying to
> install. Instead it was a problem with apt not automatically being
> able or "willing" to suggest a solution. I had to do it myself.

As we've been telling you for days now, that's only because there's
actually a problem with the packages you're trying to install. The only
arguable problem with apt is that it doesn't seem to realize the problem
itself with --simulate. This is not the right place to discuss that
though.

My words may have been too harsh, but I'm not sure what else to say to
someone who repeatedly refuses to follow suggestions that would allow
him to see the actual problem for himself but instead makes ludicrous
complaints based on incorrect assumptions.