Re: apt (intentionally?) brain dead?

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 03:15:24PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 15:09 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

> > > Try without --simulate,
> >
> > Sure. And risk that apt will remove essential packages? ... :) Apt
> > being removing stuff is a well-known behavior currently in unstable
> > Debian,
>
> Without asking for confirmation first? That's news to me, definitely
> hasn't done that here. Ever. If you explicitly tell it not to ask first,
> maybe...
>
> > so clearly, Michel, with all due respect: No way. :)
>
> So you don't want to see for yourself that there's no problem with apt
> but instead with the packages you're trying to install. Fine.

Please: Read the message where I pasted apt's error messages *and* the
output of my manual intervention shortly after: If you do you can see
that there was no problem with the packages I was trying to
install. Instead it was a problem with apt not automatically being
able or "willing" to suggest a solution. I had to do it myself.

And I repeat from my previous message, what you ignored in your response:

"And please think about this current apt behavior where you don't want
to install just one package as mentioned, but dozens or more instead -
a typical situation for someone running unstable, I believe. I'd be
definitely lost if apt would tell me then to resolve the dependencies
myself, and manually ..."

Yes, I made a grammar mistake. Instead of:
"And please think about this current apt behavior where you don't want
to install just one package"
it should have said:
"And please think about this current apt behavior if you don't want
to install just one package"
['if' instead of 'where']

But you understood me in spite of it, right?

And yes: Later I thought perhaps the "ProblemResolver" argument would
have helped ... But given the probs I had the last time with apt even
with this argument I doubt it would have helped. But not having
tried it was a mistake. Indeed. In spite of the fact it was me who
found it .... :)

> But please save yourself and everybody else some precious time and
> spare us your pointless rants. Thanks.

                        [ ... ]

Wow.

So far I thought putting a finger to problems might help. Even if I do
that without the soft words of a priest, and in spite of the technical
mistakes I make. But I'm able to learn. Especially if even people like
you don't see anything else than pointless rants in my postings.

Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
Key fingerprint = A8CA 9D8C 54C4 4CC1 0B26  AA3C 9108 FB42 E303 7113