Re: sarge kernel frozen (2.4.27 and 2.6.8), and plans for post-sarge powerpc kernels.

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 10:29:43PM -0700, Michael wrote:
> Ok, I stand corrected.  I will work with you on this.  The 2.6.8 powerpc
> kernel-image that I downloaded and installed would not boot a display
> unless the kernel argument video=ofonly was passed.  I did compile the
> Debian 2.6.11 tree and that also would not boot the display without
> video=ofonly.  I have never tried OFfb (I don't think, or even know if

I am not familiar with of stuff, could you compile a kernel with activated
verbose output from rage128fb or hatever it is called ?

> video=offb is a viable option)  But until I hear back from you I am
> going to try and compile the upstream 2.6.12-rc2 kernel that Ben asked

Ok, if this solves it, we can backport the fix. Notice that there is a
prebuilt 2.6.11 in the archive since yesterday. It seemed to me that the rage
related fixes where X/DRI related, not fbdev.

> us about.  I have the .config file I ran for the debian kernel
> compilation if you are interested to see if I configured it wrong.  One

Euh, yes.

> thing I did NOT however do is apply any patches from the kernel-patches
> folder that was also installed, still new to this compiling kernel thing.

If you used kernel-source-2.6.11, then it is ok, if you used upstream, you can
probably ignore the debian patches for now.

> Hope that I will be able to help since this is all a learning experience
> for me, and some of it is just "clicking" faster than others.
> However one thing sticks out to me, are we still talking about Sarge, as
> noted in the Subject, because  I am unning the unstable tree, which I
> was told is Sid.  I did run Sarge for a while with no success at the
> video that is still plaguing me.

You can run sarge with the unstable kernel. I would even recomend it, and
provide a backport of the newest kernels and d-i as soon as sarge is out.

There may be chance of a 2.6.8 backport of the fix, if we find it.

Benh, any comment on this ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther