Re: sarge kernel frozen (2.4.27 and 2.6.8), and plans for post-sarge powerpc kernels.

Sven Luther wrote:

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 07:00:52PM -0700, Michael wrote:
Yes Sven you are not wrong, This is indeed an Apple Macintosh G4, so thankyou for the clarification. And I do wish I didn't have to compile my own kernel, but it seems the only solution to getting graphic

No, there you are wrong.

support so I can have a working X installation. The latest post vinai sent me he indicated that at some point the Debian kernel lost support for the Rage 128 pro, but he didn't notice because he always compiled his own.

If there is a problem with the debian kernel, i much expect that a bug has
been filled about it, and we can search together for the solution and fix it.
If people go building their own kernel at the first problem they encounter,
and don't fill bug reports, how do you expect to get things fixed ?
Friendly,

Sven Luther

Ok, I stand corrected. I will work with you on this. The 2.6.8 powerpc kernel-image that I downloaded and installed would not boot a display unless the kernel argument video=ofonly was passed. I did compile the Debian 2.6.11 tree and that also would not boot the display without video=ofonly. I have never tried OFfb (I don't think, or even know if video=offb is a viable option) But until I hear back from you I am going to try and compile the upstream 2.6.12-rc2 kernel that Ben asked us about. I have the .config file I ran for the debian kernel compilation if you are interested to see if I configured it wrong. One thing I did NOT however do is apply any patches from the kernel-patches folder that was also installed, still new to this compiling kernel thing. Hope that I will be able to help since this is all a learning experience for me, and some of it is just "clicking" faster than others. However one thing sticks out to me, are we still talking about Sarge, as noted in the Subject, because I am unning the unstable tree, which I was told is Sid. I did run Sarge for a while with no success at the video that is still plaguing me.
--Mike