Re: Downgrading from Sid to Sarge ?

On Apr 1, 2005 4:40 PM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 10:20:53AM -0500, Mehul Sanghvi wrote:

> "always" isn't possible any more once you have installed a package
> from unstable, if I'm not mistaken .. see below ...

You are correct, based on what I've read in this thread.

> I still don't understand the problem, because the more packages you
> install from unstable, the more stuff you'll have from the latter
> branch, due to dependency reasons, IINM. And this means, that with an
> "apt-get dist-upgrade" you also upgrade the packages you installed
> from unstable to their latest version from *unstable* .. IINM ...

And that is actually what is happening.  And upon seeing that, I did
not realise that
it was a consequence of my having installed a package from unstable.

> I don't see
> 1:
> how you would be able to prevent that, and

I dont see how to prevent that either, unless I can use apt prefrences
as another
poster pointed out.  I'll be looking into that this weekend hopefully.

> I think you understood the docs correctly ... But my impression now is
> that you wonder about the consequences of your installs from
> unstable?? Or what did I miss ... :)

You didn't miss anything.  I just never realised the consequences of
my actions. :)
I completely missed out on the dependencies having to come from unstable as well
as the package I want to install.  And for the life of me, I can't
remember what package
it was that I installed from unstable. Is there a way to tell which
package was installed
from unstable ?

> > Thank you for the help and pointers.
>
> You're welcome. But I'm not sure whether I was of such a great help .. :)

Don't sell yourself short :)  It was helpful to be slapped on the head
and told "Hey!
are you stupid or what ? You got what you asked for, why are you
complaining about
it ? It is doing exactly what you told it to do !!"  :)

cheers,

        mehul

--
Mehul N. Sanghvi