Re: Downgrading from Sid to Sarge ?

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 10:20:53AM -0500, Mehul Sanghvi wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2005 4:49 PM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 03:20:57PM -0500, Mehul Sanghvi wrote:
> > > 'allo,
> > >
> > >     I've been working with what I thought was Sarge.  I noticed today
> > > that I'm actually
> > > pulling down packages from unstable (Sid).  How do I ensure that I am
> > > always using

"always" isn't possible any more once you have installed a package
from unstable, if I'm not mistaken .. see below ...

> > > Sarge, though at times there might be something in Sid that I might
> > > want to pull down
> > > and try out.
> > >
> > > In /etc/apt/apt.conf:
> > >
> > > APT
> > > {
> > >   Default-Release "testing";
> > > };
> > >

> > > This should make sure that I only get from testing aka Sarge, yes ?
> >
> > It looks like, yes ... at least for me: But did you actually write to
> > your apt sources list the Debian locations for sarge, and only those
> > for sarge? Or do you have the locations for unstable in there, too?
> >

> I have both testing and unstable in there.  I was under the impression
> that I could
> have both in there, and with the default set to testing in
> /etc/apt/apt.conf, I could then
> have an unstable package installed by giving the '-t' option I believe
> to apt-get.

That's actually what I thought, too .. But how then did you pull in
packages from unstable that you did not want? If you have 'testing'
set as your default branch in apt.conf, and if you then install a
package with the -t option from unstable, you might -- for dependency
reasons --  get quite a few more than you actually wanted via the -t
install ..

I still don't understand the problem, because the more packages you
install from unstable, the more stuff you'll have from the latter
branch, due to dependency reasons, IINM. And this means, that with an
"apt-get dist-upgrade" you also upgrade the packages you installed
from unstable to their latest version from *unstable* .. IINM ...

I don't see
1:
how you would be able to prevent that, and
2:
why you would wonder that this happens: This is the consequence of
installing packages from unstable ... Or that's at least how I
understand the apt system ... Could someone please correct me if I'm
wrong in that?

> Seems like I was mistaken.  I'm pretty sure I picked this up from one
> of the FAQs
> or the manuals.

I think you understood the docs correctly ... But my impression now is
that you wonder about the consequences of your installs from
unstable?? Or what did I miss ... :)

> I'll comment out the unstable locations, and redo the update for
> apt-get, and then
> see what happens as has been suggested in one of the other emails.
>
> Thank you for the help and pointers.

You're welcome. But I'm not sure whether I was of such a great help .. :)

Regards
 Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer