Re: Downgrading from Sid to Sarge ?

Lee Braiden wrote:
On Friday 01 April 2005 09:28, Eugen Dedu wrote:

If this is the case and you want to stay with sarge (testing) only, I
propose you to remove the lines for unstable (or sid) from your
/etc/apt/sources.list.  That means that from now on you would not
install packages from unstable.  After a few days, or a few weeks, as
all your unstable packages have been propagated into testing in Debian
distribution, you will find yourself using only testing packages.

Agreed: just replace "sid" or "unstable" with "testing" in your /etc/apt/sources.list

If that would be _that_ easy...

I don't think sarge will catch up with sid in all areas within a few weeks (though I could be wrong), but if everything works now, there's no real reason to worry about that.

You might as well still "get" packages from unstable that will never reach sarge (see packages that are kept away from sarge with intentional rc bugs).

Do you want to get back to sarge only packages? in that case: /etc/apt/preferences is your friend and Pin-Piority > 1000.

Do you want to still be able to get package x from unstable while the rest are from sarge? Well, then /etc/apt/prferences and pinning are your friends.

here is my preferences file:

Package: dcgui-qt
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 800

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 600

Well, you can look for apt-pinning on the net for that.
Warning: READ CAREFULLY!

--
Regards,
EddyP