Re: problems installing debian on Performa 6400

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:24:18PM +0100, Hans Ekbrand wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 11:41:56PM -0800, Tara Athan wrote:
> > I have been using BootX 1.1.3 - this may be (part of ) the difficulty.
> > I tried downloading all versions of BootX, including 1.2.2, burned onto
> > a CD, fed into my Mac and dragged each onto the StuffIt Expander Icon.
> > The only one that expands is 1.1.3
> >
> > Further information:
> > > the installation instructions that refer to linux.bin and
> > ramdisk.image.gz are located at
> >
> > http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-powerpc/current/doc/manual/en/ch04s05.html#files-oldworld
> >
> > These instructions may very well be out-of-date, but they are what is on
> > the website under /current/
>
> This part of the installation manual was never updated for the sarge
> release. So, try following the instructions in my earlier post in this
> thread.

If you can't get BooX to work, you should try booting off a floppy.
I think the floppy images released for sarge did not work with linux
2.6, but linux 2.4 worked.

There are more recent builds of the floppies though, here are the
latest one I found:

http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/2005-11-25/powerpc/floppy/

You will need

boot.img to boot
root.img to start the installer
cd-drivers.img to load kernel modules for the cd-reader.

These might be untested, so please report any success or failure to
the debian-installer team using this template
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch05s03.html#submit-bug

Good luck

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>