Re: problems installing debian on Performa 6400

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 23:11 -0800, Tara Athan wrote:

> If I click on Linux, I get a console screen and see some welcome to linux stuff, but it fails at
> VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(8,1)
> Kernel panic VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)
> <0>Rebooting in 180 seconds..

Make sure you get a recent enough BootX and click "use ramdisk", and
select the ramdisk.image.gz (or initrd.gz, whatever it's called).

With recent kernels/initrd's, you may also have to explicitely add
"root=/dev/ram0" on your kernel command line.

Ben.