Re: Linux on new iMac G5 PowerMac12,1 ?

On Dec 12, 2005, at 1:06 AM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 21:32 -0500, Percy Zahl wrote:
Hi all-

I tried to boot a 2.6.14.3-ppc kernel on a new iMac G5 (20"/2.1GHz)
PowerMac12,1, it crashed after about 4 or 5 lines of kernel messages,
and the OF promt was back scrolling endless.... need to manually
power off to recover.

Is there any Linux kernel variant known to boot successfully on such
a machine?

Not yet. I'm currently working on support for the new machines, that
includes the new iMac G5 with iSight, and the dual core G5s. They have a new chipset that needs a bit of work. Hopefully, I'll have a patch soon,
probably tomorrow, with some basic support but no thermal control yet.
I'll need testers with the new iMac as I don't have access to one
though, I'll let you know. The thermal control will come soon after
that.

Ben.

I'll be happy to give it a try and report.

BTW,
I had trouble compiling the 2.6.14.3 from kernel.org, looks like the default .config is not good for a error free compile, all I changed was CPU to POWER4/G5 and enabled Thermal.
Everything else unchanged.

-PZ