Re: Successfull! - Debian install on biege G3

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 03:44:14PM +0000, David Pead wrote:
> What a right royal pain in the butt for the last few months trying to get
> this running, success at last!
> Many thanks to all for recent advice and that buried away in the archives.
> For any other unfortunate soul who's just starting out with an beige g3
> oldworld install, my experience follows:
>
> Small OS9 partition. BootX with relevant files (ie root.img and vmlinux)
> 2nd large partiton, I allowed partion guider to set it up for me.
>
> At the partioner make a note of which partition macos uses. Something like
>
> Ignore messages regards quik at end of d-i set-up, ctrl-alt-f2 to CLI
>
> This thread I found useful but incomplete, you need to chroot not cd to the
> directory:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2004/10/msg00628.html
> I found that there was no module available straight from the installer to
> mount the os9 partition. From the above post and others I then
>
> # chroot target

I would like to know if this is the best way to do it, before I send
any suggestions to the installation manual.

Obviously, without the croot it won't work to use

/boot/vmlinux-2.6.12-1-powerpc

but you would have to use

/target/boot/vmlinux-2.6.12-1-powerpc.

But would chroot somehow help to get the MacOS partition mounted or
not?

Is /dev/hda6 specific for the installed system while inside the
installer one have to use /dev/discs/dics0/part6?

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
GnuPG key: 1024D/7050614E