Re: Can't install, no KBD (G4 Cube)

You were. I stupidly assumed that d-i was changed between march and
june when sarge was released.

Well, I _tried_ the testing/etch installer. It managed to activate the keyboard, but it took a long time (>5sec) after the select language menu was displayed.

Things went fine until....it started looking for the .iso image. Well, it couldn't find it, despite the fact that the iso image was sitting _right next to_ the kernel and initrd. I tried running a shell to mount the partition, but apparently the kernel doesn't support HFS+--despite the fact that it's running from one. This is annoying and frustrating. Then I looked for basic utilities to create disk partitions, establish a network connection and FTP an ISO image from the repository---no dice. In fact, none of these most basic utilities are present in the bootstrap. This is annoying and frustrating, beyond belief.

I gave up went back to the the woody installer. It has the following compelling attributes: 1. There is a single-machine, no-iso, no-tftp installation option (http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook.html) 2. A complete kit is downloadable from a single url--including yaboot (http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks- powerpc/current/new-powermac/) 3. It supports the native filesystem for the machine you're installing it on (HFS+)
  4.  The kit is relatively small (~7M)
  5  It works.

IMO, the sarge/etch installer represents a step backwards until it also has these attributes.