Re: sudden power loss (WAS: sudden power loss on tibook)

Hi Michael,

Michael Tautschnig <michael.tautschnig@zt-consulting.com> wrote:
> The last time it happend is a few weeks ago, but at least on my PowerBook6,8 it
> only happend when the fan had spinning at full speed for some time (due to high
> CPU usage, so it was ok that the fan was spinning so fast). I considered this
> a feature of the firmware (?) that did some emergency stop once the fans weren't
> able to do their job successfully anymore.

Yes, now as you say it, I can confirm this for an iBook G4. I had the
same problem with high CPU load. The fan starts spinning and increase
its speed until it runs very fast. Then it starts to pulse (increase
speed -> decrease speed -> inc...) and after a minute or so the iBook
powers off. I thought the firmware caused the shutdown due to a too
high temperature, but if I hear you, it makes me wonder. I think I
could reproduce this, but it happened some times ago. Since then I pay
attention on the CPU load and run programs like firefox with nice to
make cpufreqd do not speed up the CPU.

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : 7455, altivec supported
clock           : 606MHz
revision        : 0.3 (pvr 8001 0303)
bogomips        : 610.30
machine         : PowerBook6,3
motherboard     : PowerBook6,3 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
detected as     : 287 (iBook G4)
pmac flags      : 0000001b
L2 cache        : 256K unified
memory          : 640MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld

I've run pbbuttonsd and cpufreqd to scale the CPU.

Bye, Jörg.
--
MCSE = Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert