Re: Installing Debian on a RS/6000 Question

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 09:00:31PM -0800, Shyamal Prasad wrote:

>     Sandy> Tried both images ... still no luck.  Not booting from the
>     Sandy> CD's, it only comes into AIX.
>
>     Sandy> [...deleted...]
>
>     Sandy> I've read about installing the kernel on the Server first,
>     Sandy> but they all explain how to write the bootfloppy from
>     Sandy> within Linux ... problem is that I don't have a Linux
>     Sandy> system over here.
>
> If it is booting into AIX you should be able to use pretty similar
> commands to write the floppy. Something along the lines described in
> 4.3.1 of the sarge install manual
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/ch04s03.html.en#id2517811
>
> Apologies if I missed something obvious, it's been far too long since
> I've used an AIX system, but I do not remember them being *that*
> different (?).

debian-installer doesn't support floppies for prep/chrp boxes, at the 2.6
kernel is abotu 1.8MB anyway, and the miboot flavour is oldworld pmac geared.

Those box netboot pretty well, and the netboot installer is the one to chose :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/netboot/vmlinuz-prep.initrd

Friendly,

Sven Luther