Re: Installing Debian on a RS/6000 Question

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 06:27:29PM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> Sven Luther declared on Saturday 26 November 2005 16:06:
> > On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 08:44:49PM +0100, Kurt De Pauw wrote:
> > > Hello,
> >
> > Hi, i think you are Digger_RS6000 which i saw on irc, right ?
> >
> > > First of all I would like to tell you that I'm not a linux guru, nor
> > > do I have a linux system running @ this very moment.
> > >
> > > I have bought myself a IBM RS/6000 F40 Server , with 2 storage
> > > cabinets.
> >
> > This seems to be a Power3 machine, and definitively not prep or 32bit
> > chrp, you thus need to get a netinst cd and boot with install64 :
>
> Nope.  The F40 is a PReP machine that comes in single and dual PPC604
> flavors.  It's the last PReP machine in its series (the F50 is a CHRP
> PPC604 machine).

Ah, ...

That means that IBM PReP are probably not supported, since i think he tried
booting the prep kernel.

Kurt, this means you will have to netboot :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/netboot/vmlinuz-prep.initrd

And no, i don't think the CD will work, as altough it contains all the proper
prep magic, on my powerstack II, it will only read the CD forever and then
hang.

Friendly,

Sven Luther