Re: Installing Debian on a RS/6000 Question

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 08:44:49PM +0100, Kurt De Pauw wrote:
> Hello,

Hi, i think you are Digger_RS6000 which i saw on irc, right ?

> First of all I would like to tell you that I'm not a linux guru, nor do I
> have a linux system running @ this very moment.
>
> I have bought myself a IBM RS/6000 F40 Server , with 2 storage cabinets.

This seems to be a Power3 machine, and definitively not prep or 32bit chrp,
you thus need to get a netinst cd and boot with install64 :

  http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/etch_d-i/powerpc/beta1/debian-testing-powerpc-netinst.iso

or use the netboot images from :

  http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-powerpc/beta1/images/powerpc64/netboot64/

Mmm, the etch beta1 has not the yaboot files for netboot i added to the daily
builds, strange, you can get those from here :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc64/netboot64/

Please submit an installation report once you are done :

  http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch05s03.html#submit-bug

Documentation and such are linked from the debian-installer web page (as well
as most of the above links :

I hope this helps, but if in any case you are going to not want that machine,
as you mentioned on irc, i would be very interested in it, as an IBM chrp and
a 64bit machine are still missing in my powerpc collection, at least for those
machines officially supported by debian, and it would come handy for
debian-installer and kernel testing, or even for work on the biarch/multiarch
userland.

> On this server I would like to install Debian.
>
> I downloaded all kind of versions , but the Server does not want to boot
> from the cdrom.

Then try the netboot, did you not even get the yaboot prompt ? Or just tried
to boot the 32bit kernel on it from the yaboot prompt (install instead of
install64).

> Is there somebody over here who would like to tell me step by step how to
> install Debian on such a machine?

I will be glad to do that :)

> Please note that I don't have another Linux system for creating additional
> floppy's or whatever.

So, no tftp server to netboot from ? Maybe a windows box with a tftp/bootp
server ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther