Re: netboot (not netinstall) kernel with standart console initrd

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 06:30:08PM +0700, nokideen wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 November 2005 02:01 am, Sven Luther wrote:
> >   http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/netboot/
> > get yaboot, yaboot.conf, vmlinux and initrd.gz, put them on your tftp
> > partition, adapt it if needed, and once in yaboot, chose the 'rescue'
> > entry.
> >
> > Not sure if it does NFS though.
>
> thanks mr luther
> I have tried the image and initrd, work fine in dhcp+tftpd+yaboot
>
> but it's the same as debian installer netbook image I've downloaded before
> network works fine, but any File System in rescue mode (shell busybox)
> (nfs/smb) can't be reconigzed,

Yep, you probably can write a nfs-udeb or something, including the stuff you
need for nfs/smb (no idea what those are), and load it into the image once the
network is up, or even preseed it.

> this is my [Section] in yaboot.conf
>
> image=luther/vmlinux-luther
>         label=luther-rescue
>         initrd=luther/initrd-luther.gz
>         initrd-size=4352
>         append="rescue/enable=true --"
>         read-only
>         root=/dev/ram
>

> in rescue mode (busybox)
>
> mount  -t nfs 192.168.1.1:/tftpboot/192.168.1.158 : failed no such device

So, what is missing ? i guess you only need the nfs and co modules, right ?
Just wget them and insmod them from the console and try again ?

> I can do ping from server to my mac,
>
> My Powerbook, dont have Harddrive so I need kernel with NFS compiled on, Can I
> ask for your help to build this kernel ?

Well, try for yaird, and more especially look at the files in /etc/yaird, and
see how you can include modules and the needed tools to make it happen, even
custom scripts, should be enough to do what you want.

Friendly,

Sven Luther