Re: netboot (not netinstall) kernel with standart console initrd

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 08:49:03AM +0700, nokideen wrote:
> Hi I'm frustated finding vmlinux image and initrd that support netboot using
> (dhcp+tftpd+yaboot)
>
> debian just provide standart kernel for net install only
>
> I'm looking live kernel image with little initrd (for open bash/ls/mount and
> mount NFS File System, and many other small utilities console) and hardware
> support (example cdrom and usb disk)
>
> is there somebody has this kind of kernel, ?

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/netboot/

get yaboot, yaboot.conf, vmlinux and initrd.gz, put them on your tftp
partition, adapt it if needed, and once in yaboot, chose the 'rescue' entry.

Not sure if it does NFS though.

Another option is using yaird or initramfs-tools, and generate a ramdisk
containing busybox and stuff. This one should be enough for you, but you need
maybe a bit more man page reading, and manual configuration, but they do NFS,
and i know that at least yaird allows this, and this one may help you :

  http://www.xs4all.nl/~ekonijn/yaird/yaird.html

Friendly,

Sven Luther