Re: Reset PegasOS Open Firmware configuration to default

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 07:35:01AM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> I've been trying to get a 2.6 kernel to boot
> on my PegasOS (the kernel load hangs after a
> couple of seconds).

I still don't get this, can you write me your exact problems in personal email ?

Can you boot the debian kernel fine ?

> In the process of doing this, I redirected
> all input+output to the serial port (or so
> I thought).
>
> I used the following commands:

> setenv input-device serial
> setenv output-device serial
>
> This is from the top of my head, can't
> remember EXACTLY what I typed...

Just remove the keyboard and you will get the serial console, don't forget to
boot with console=ttyS1,115200n8.

> The problem is that now I don't get
> any output AT ALL, and the serial
> port don't seem to work...
>
> Either I'm using the wrong physical
> port (there's two - one 9pin and one
> 25pin) and/or the wrong speed (tried
> 9600/8n1, 38400/8n1 and 115200/8n1).

9pin 115200n8.

> Any ideas? Is there an image or something
> I can boot that will clear/reset the
> firmware?

You can try an OF upgrade.

> The machine is set to autoboot my
> 2.4 kernel so I could mount the disk
> in another Linux machine and replace
> the kernel image with this 'reset image'... ?

forget about 2.4 kernels please.

> PS. Trying the old PC tricks I used to do
>     when a PC/BIOS fucks up (remove the battery
>     for a couple of hours) didn't work...

just do a printenv, and you will see the default listed on the right, and you
can reset them by hand.

Friendly,

Sven Luter