Re: 2.6 kernel - problems with AlBook

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > I am trying to install a custom 2.6.14.2 kernel on a 15" PowerBook using
> > make-kpkg. The kernel boots but can't mount the root partition (ext2). I
> > have ATA/100, Mac partition support, and ext2 built statically into the
> > kernel.
> >
> > A 2.4 kernel (Ethan Benson's XFS-enabled ppc kernel) boots fine on the
> > same partition.
>
> You manage to boot an alboot with a 2.4 kernel ? heh, you must be
> lucky :)

This is the only Debian install kernel I could find that does - possibly
it's the only one with ATA/100 enabled.

> I don't know what's up with your root partition, you may be passing the
> wrong root= argument to the kernel I suppose ...

I'm using yaboot to specify the root, which is /dev/hda3. I attach the
output of "mac-fdisk -l /dev/hda" and the contents of yaboot.conf. I
have also tried specifying the kernel arguments from the boot: prompt in
yaboot explicitly:

  hd:3,vmlinux ro root=/dev/hda3

with the same results.

Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> Is module-init-tools installed? Sometimes people forget it when
> switching from 2.4 to 2.6.

Yes, both module-init-tools and modutils are installed, but in any case
all the relevant IDE/ATA and filesystem drivers are compiled in
statically.

Could anyone else try this kernel config on an AlBook (the model is
PowerBook5,8 if that helps) ?

I am compiling the kernel with gcc4, would that make any difference?
--
Chris Burdess
/dev/hda

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=195371568
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

## yaboot.conf generated by yabootconfig 1.0.5
##
## run: "man yaboot.conf" for details. Do not make changes until you have!!
## see also: /usr/share/doc/yaboot/examples for example configurations.
##
## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of:
## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ

boot=/dev/hda2
#device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:
device=hd:
partition=3