Re: Sound and 3d aceeleration on Powerbook 5,7 with Debian Sarge 3.1

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 08:26:55AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 02:34 -0700, Shiv Dayal wrote:
> > with referrence to discussion on the debian mailing
> > list
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2005/07/msg00402.html
> > i have found one solution for sound. The solution is
> > to use USB speakers. It plays mp3 and other files
> > pretty well but none of the players have been able to
> > play AC3(A52 Audio) format properly. VLC plays it for
> > some time thereafter it says audio output is starving
> > playing silence.
>
> Weird... Could be a bug in VLC or the libac3 ... or the driver for those
> speakers. You should report it to the appropriate maintainers.
>
> Note that the internal sound chip should work with recent kernels. If
> not, it may just be a matter of a small adjustement. Can you send me a
> tarball of /proc/device-tree on your machine ?
>
> > In the list you mentioned about r300 drivers. If there
> > is any way to get 3D acceleration please tell me
> > however difficult it is to setup. Because i mostly do
> > 3D programming and without acceleration i can not do
> > much.
>
> There is some basic 3D acceleration available yes (it doesn't do HW TCL
> etc...yet but it's good enough to play QuakeIII for example :)
>
> To get it, you should look at the freedesktop wiki for details I
> suppose. Basically, you need:
>
>  - Up to date kernel DRM (current -git should do)
>  - Up to date X.org (from CVS)
>  - Up to date libdrm (from DRM CVS)
>  - Up to date Mesa tree to build the DRI drivers
>
> I hope that once X.org 7 (and 6.9) are final, things will be more
> readily available, which hopefully should happen fairly soon, or at
> least -RC snapshots should be available.

You can also try out my 6.9 packages in http://people.debian.org/~luther/xorg
(or something such, not sure how i named the last dir). They have some
problems though, and you need the mesa libs separatedly for the 3d accell and
a newer kernel (current git or latest rc or something).

Friendly,

Sven Luther