Re: powerpc and s390: buildd environments screwed?
- To: Albert Cahalan <email@example.com>
- Cc: Michel Dänzer <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Johannes Berg <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, Ryan Murray <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: powerpc and s390: buildd environments screwed?
- From: Frank Küster <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:17:56 +0200
- Message-id: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com> (Albert Cahalan's message of "Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:01:45 -0400")
- References: <E1E3gYa-0006d4-QN@localhost> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <1127827238.25748.42.camel@localhost> <email@example.com> <1127830911.25748.46.camel@localhost> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <1127833981.25748.62.camel@localhost> <email@example.com> <1127843940.3824.63.camel@localhost> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
Albert Cahalan <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> > I don't really like the idea of bin-NMUing all those packages without
>> > understanding the cause. If it turns out to be a real bug somewhere that
>> > needs fixing, the whole bin-NMU dance will have to be done all over
>> > again.
>> Me neither, but I am not qualified to find out the cause. Josselin
>> (libpng maintainer, again in the Cc) already said he had no idea either,
>> except toolchain changes on the affected arches. Maybe Ryan has some
>> insight as buildd admin?
> The obvious assumption would be that we've gone through an
> unintended ABI change. That's very bad. Oh well. It happened.
> Let's put it behind us. Life goes on.
> Not that the cause wouldn't be interesting of course.
More than interesting: If it wasn't an unintended ABI change, as
Josselin asserted, then what else was it? Will that "else" occur again?
How can it be prevented?
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich