Re: Few problems with PowerBook(5,7)

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 11:49 +0200, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> Shiv Dayal schrieb am Freitag, den 29. Juli 2005:
>
> > Recently i purchased an Apple Powerbook 17"(5,7) and
> > installed Sarge 3.1 on it. There are certain problems
> > which i am not able to fix nor find a solution on net.
> > Fist problem is that sound doesn't work and there is
> > no 3D acceleration. I have tried various kernels and
> > currenly running 2.6.12.2 with patches from BenH.
> There will be no 3D accleration as there is no free accleration existing and
> ati doesn't provides ppc compiles properitary drivers...
>
> So there is currently no way to get acceleration working for this machine.

That is not entirely true. There is a driver beeing written for the r300
family of chips based on reverse engineering. However, it's still in
quite "early" stage, requires up to date CVS of various bits & pieces,
etc... And like other free 3D drivers, is nowhere near the level of
functionality of the binary ones.

Ben.