Re: Install second partition of powerbook?

On 9/21/05, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 11:43:31AM -0400, Jay States wrote:
> > I have looked through the mailing list and googled about installing
> > debian on a second partition and found no solution.  I have OS X on the
> > first partition and the second partition is free, I would like to
> > install Debian... but not if I have to re-format the disk.  Any suggestions?
>
> Use debian installer, and when coming to the partitioning step, chose manually
> editing partition table, and use this second partition (or better yet erase
> it, go into automated partitioning and chose use all free space). Don't be
> surprised as your partitions will be #9 and #10 or so, and make sure you
> create a small 8MB or so partition for yaboot.
>
> Notice that with sid/etch d-i, you can even do shrinking ofyour mac os x
> partition without losing data :) Not sure the partman ui allows for shrinking,
> but you can go to console 2 and use parted directly.
>
> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

I've got OSX one three partitions, and Debian unstable on one.  The
installation manual tells a little bit here:

http://www.us.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/ch06s03.html.en#id2524244

and here:

http://www.us.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/apbs05.html.en

Lots of reading beyond that there.

Here's what my partitions look like:

ssbeagle:~# mac-fdisk -l
/dev/hda
        #                    type name                  length   base
    ( size )  system
/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                     63 @ 1
    ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2              Apple_Free                       262144 @ 64
    (128.0M)  Free space
/dev/hda3               Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_2  13397696 @
262208    (  6.4G)  HFS
/dev/hda4              Apple_Free                       262144 @
13659904  (128.0M)  Free space
/dev/hda5               Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_3  25294976 @
13922048  ( 12.1G)  HFS
/dev/hda6              Apple_Free                       262144 @
39217024  (128.0M)  Free space
/dev/hda7               Apple_HFS Linux               64071296 @
39479168  ( 30.6G)  HFS
/dev/hda8         Apple_Bootstrap eXternal booter        17408 @
103550464 (  8.5M)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/hda9         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Debian GNU/Linux    13642352 @
103567872 (  6.5G)  Linux native
/dev/hda10             Apple_Free                           16 @
117210224 (  8.0k)  Free space

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=117210240
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

See that /dev/hda8?  That's where I created my Bootstrap partition for
yaboot.  Then I created /dev/hda9 with the remaining space, and
installed Debian there!

--
Chadwick