Re: nvsetenv segfaulting on 8500

> Currently running testing on an 8500 with a G3 upgrade.  With all of
> the Old World booting discussions we've been having over the last
> couple of weeks, and my booting troubles, I wanted to go back to see
> what I had for OF boot defaults.
>
> However, when I run nvsetenv as root, I get segfaults with both the
> boot-device and boot-file arguments. I'm running a mainline 2.6.12.2
> kernel, compiled with gcc (GCC) 4.0.1 (Debian 4.0.1-2).  The version
> of "powerpc-utils" I have is 1.1.3-17.

That's current. What does 'nvsetenv' (no arguments) report?

> What can I do to help trouble-shoot this?  Is this a symptom that my
> OF tree is corrupted?  I use BootX into Linux or OS 9 without issue.

Please run strace nvsetenv boot-device and send the output of that by PM.

Corrupted nvram should be detected by the nv load code and trigger an
error. Maybe the stored length of a packed string got corrupted; that's
about the only thing that should throw a segfault.

	Michael