Re: powerpc d-i daily builds reactivated, use 2.6.12 kernels, including 64bit kernels, miboot floppies dropped for now.

On Aug 24 2005, Rick Thomas wrote:
> On Aug 23, 2005, at 11:28 PM, Rogério Brito wrote:
> >Really? I do it all the time here with an inherited PowerMac
> >9500/180MP with a G3 upgrade card (kindly donated by Tormod).
> >
> >I even documented the way I do it in my 'blog/diary (and the same
> >method has been working for years now). What exactly is the problem
> >that you're facing?
>
> Could you post a URL for that 'blog/diary entry?  Because I've had the
> same trouble as Sven.

Here you go:

12 April

After installing the NewerTech G3 upgrade card into the PowerMac
9500/180MP, I had some problems, when I tried to install Debian. None of
the sarge floppies would work and I eventually decided to get rid of any
traces of MacOS and installed using the woody floppies. The problem is
that the kernel 2.2.20 that comes with woody ins't able to see both PCI
buses, especially the one where the video card is sitting on. I had to
grab a kernel from testing's repository, but I don't like distribution
kernels, for they are way too bloated.

Note to self: when replacing the zImage on the HFS boot floppy, one has
to use the vmlinux image compressed with gzip, like this:

    gzip -9 vmlinux
    hmount /dev/fd0
    hcopy vmlinux.gz :zImage
    humount /dev/fd0

No other image that I tried worked. But it was nice to (re)-discover how
one makes a boot floppy for an OldWorld Mac.

P.S.: Today, Apple announced the next upgrade of MacOS X, code named
"Tiger".

Hope this helps, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/