Re: powerpc d-i daily builds reactivated, use 2.6.12 kernels, including 64bit kernels, miboot floppies dropped for now.

On Sun, August 21, 2005 6:47, Derrik Pates wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 12:27:51AM -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:
>> Does it help to remember that SMP-safe is irrelevant to OldWorld
>> Pmacs, since there are none-such?
>
> Actually, that's not true - I have a 7500 with an aftermarket
> 604e/180 dual CPU card, and I'm sure there was at least one 9600
> model that had dual processors from the factory, so MP-safety most
> certainly is an issue. Besides, he said he was testing it on an SMP
> box anyway - it'd be hard to get a SWIM3 floppy controller on a
> NewWorld, since the core chipsets in the NewWorlds don't have 'em.

In addition to Apple's machines (like the 9500 180/MP like Rogerio
mentioned) that came SMP-ready, and CPU upgrade cards, there were
also clones at this time that were also SMP-capable.  I remember a
4-way 604e non-Apple Power Mac.  Since all of this arose from the
same line of motherboard and chipsets, I would guess these machines
also have SWIM3 controllers for the floppy drives.

But just to clarify: I presently do NOT have SMP on my 8500.  I have
a single G3 CPU upgrade card.  I've compiled a kernel with SMP set,
and tried to use SMP-compatible locking primitives in my 1st attempt
to make the SWIM3 driver SMP safe.  But I did not use these properly.

My attempt here is to try to do several things in one job: get my 8500
and all its hardware working, learning about device driver programming,
and making code SMP-safe.

If desireable, I can send the patch to the current 2.6.12 line to get
the driver to compile cleanly.  All I did was to replace the older
interrupt calling routines with their updated equivalent.

cheers
vinai