Re: 64bit status report : biarch toolchain and ppc64 debian kernel.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 09:13:28AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > Oh, and also, we still miss NPTL in the glibc build, but i guess as we are
> > moving forward, this will come soon now.
>
> I've been told that for 2 years... strangely, back then, the problem was
> freezing for testing. Now we have an up to date glibc, it's still not
> enabled for _NO_ good reason, and ... i've been told it can't be done
> now because ... freezing for testing !

Yep, i understand your frustration, but at least we have biarch now, which
enables us to do some work. Once the glibc 2.3.5 or whatever it is is a bit
stabilized, there will be no excuse anymore, but i have good faith that NPTL
support will happen in the next month or so.

> I'm really getting too disgusted to even try anymore. Debian is
> hopeless.

Yeah, things are not as fast as we hope, but we are a volunteer organisation,
so we will see.

But if in a month or so NPTL is not yet enabled, we will go and ask them, but
the current way is to make small incremental steps, i guess.

This is irrelevant to the rest of the decision about biarch, and i would like
your input on this one.

In particular if anyone knows what the status of linking 32bit code with
64bit code is ? Or if we really need to rebuild all libraries as 64bit version ?

Friendly,

Sven LUther