Re: Boot problems on a B&W G3.

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 03:44:10PM -0400, Matt Gracie wrote:
> I've been doing a little more work on this. As far as I can tell, the
> error in the debian packaged kernels is because the kernel modules
> included in the 2.6 series kernels are different than the ones in the
> 2.4 kernels. The Silicon Image IDE controller that's in my Rev 2 B&W
> isn't compiled in.

I'm guessing that's a separate PCI card you have in your unit? I'm running
Debian (currently sid) on my blue & white G3 (rev. 2, 350 MHz CPU). The
onboard Ultra ATA-capable IDE controller is a CMD646.

> So now the machine boots. The only problem left is that I never get a
> login prompt at the console: it launches all of the stuff in /etc/rc2.d
> and then just...stops. Here's what I get in the logs:

[snip]

> So, something's still not right. Not that I especially care if I can log
> in -- this is going to be a server box, not a workstation, so I'll be
> accessing it over SSH. And that works, since sshd can start before this
> problem crops up.

Can you boot it into single user mode (by appending 'single' to the kernel
command line)? Or boot directly into /bin/sh (by appending 'init=/bin/sh'),
and make sure the device nodes exist, or at least try to determine what's
happening? It sounds like either something's not right in the udev
configuration, or maybe in inittab, I'm not really sure.

> (From what I can tell, the B&W G3 is exceptionally problematic for
> running Debian. Lucky me. Good thing it was cheap.)

Strangely I've run Debian on mine since I got it, and I've run Debian on a
G3 previously, and it's never given me any trouble.

--
Derrik Pates
demon@devrandom.net